Tuesday

realist shit i`ve ever wrote.

today, as i laugh at all my suitemates in the bathroom, afraid their hair will frizz up because of the moisture in the air, i start thinking.

i think about who i am.
who i was.
who i will be.

i am lauren. i am natural.

people see me as crazy for cutting all the long, thick relaxed hair i had.

i`ve never been one to dwell on one style.

i`ve been red. i`ve been pixie short. i`ve have sew-ins. i`ve had wig caps. i`ve been jet black.

but now im bald. and blond.

everyone i`ve talked to thats older said their dream has ALWAYS been to dye their hair blond, get their nose pierced, and cut it all off.

i`ve done all 3 - and sans shame.

women seem to believe men want their woman to be PERFECT - meaning long hair, perfect body, and to be a slut.

we, as women, need to understand the importance of being HEALTHY.

healthy = being physically fit, mentally // emotionally STRONG

natural hair for me has made me mentally & emotionally strong because i have nothing to hide behind - the world sees me for who i am : a black woman with less hair than my nephews.

No comments:

Post a Comment